What My Kids Don't Know Hurts Me

What My Kids Don't Know Hurts Me is a blog about parenting.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

I Can't Believe We're Having This Conversation

Earlier this school year, a boy went to my seven-year-old daughter's school locker between classes. He offered her a real ring and said they were boyfriend and girlfriend. After school, when Belle told me this, I couldn't believe "it was starting" so early. I felt like Homer Simpson:

I couldn't believe she and I were having this conversation when she was seven. So I told her that it was great she found a friend she liked so much. However, it was inappropriate to be dating someone at age seven. And even more inappropriate for him to be offering her valuable merchandise.

Belle frowned. "When can I date someone, Daddy?"

"When you're 60," I said.

She looked worried. "Seriously?"

"No, but not until high school."

"So what do I tell this boy?"

"Tell him you'll be friends, but you can't be his girlfriend right now because you're both seven and it's inappropriate."

"But Daaaaaad, what if no other boys want to be my boyfriend?"

At this point, I decided to boost her confidence, but I'm not so sure now that was right call. I said, "Belle, you're so smart, talented, and pretty you'll have boys lining up in high school to be your boyfriend."

She winced, rolled her eyes and said, "Daddy. Awkwaaaaaaaard."

Almost as awkward as a new poll showing that, in Wisconsin, Packers Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is now more popular than Santa Claus or Mother Teresa.

I respect all three. But while Rodgers does a lot of charity work--especially for the American Family Children's Hospital with kids who have cancer--he shouldn't be more popular than the saintly Teresa. In fact, I can't believe I'm having this conversation, either. Then again, I never saw Mother T throw a 60-yard touchdown on the run.

As for Santa, I can see Rodgers being more popular. After all, Rodgers is a real person. And, he never got booed by Philadelphia Eagles fans.

At least Rodgers wasn't voted more popular than Abe Lincoln or Jesus.
We'll leave that to Denver fans' view of Tim Tebow. And, of course, the poll participants ranked their approval of THEMSELVES higher than all of the above. Talk about awkward.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

If you'd like to receive this blog in your e-mail box, please enter your address below (I will never share your address or send spam):


Powered by FeedBlitz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Humor blogs